Blogging From A-Z: K is for Karaoke

K is for:

Karaoke

As you may be aware (from several posts hinting at it) I am getting married in September and one of the things I have wanted to my wedding for years and years is a karaoke disco. I really love singing and, hence, karaoke. I am a member of a local amateur theatre group and as our post-show celebration we usually have a fish supper and karaoke evening and I have many a joyful evening singing the hits of Dolly Parton with gay abandon and having a wonderful time!

I started looking for a karaoke disco as soon as we booked the venue and emailed several people local to me, but people seemed happy to do the disco part, but it seemed no-one was doing the karaoke any more. I did start to despair that I would not get what I wanted, but a random message on Twitter solved my problem. I had tweeted about hiring my wedding cars and I got a direct message from Simon Clarke, a DJ on my local radio station, Wave105 – for some reason we follow each other! Basically he asked if I had hired a DJ and I said I hadn’t and that I wanted a karaoke disco and he was good enough to recommend a DJ he knew that did it. Cut a long story short, a few emails and tweets later, I had my karaoke disco, courtesy of Darren Daley. And I’m really excited about it!!

When I was first looking at it I was a bit concerned that people might not like it, or think it’s tacky, but I have very recently taken a new attitude towards the whole wedding experience: it’s our wedding – if people don’t like it then it’s tough tits!

I’m hoping that people will be game enough to join in and have a go – I certainly will be, but I won’t force anyone! What do you think of the karaoke? What would you have a go at? For people I know – what will you be doing at the wedding???

This entry was posted in All About Me!, Wedding. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Blogging From A-Z: K is for Karaoke

1. Cath says:

You know me, get me drunk enough and I’ll be up there singing my little heart out. May have to sing ‘do wah diddy’ just for old times sake 😀
    PS I am *loving* the new attitude!!

• Stacey says:

Thank you! I just got the hump the other day with wondering if people will like things – it was after people turned their noses up at my buttons!

2. I will give it a go I’m sure. Will have to start practicing though, both sober and drunk just to get the full effect. And I love the buttons.

• Stacey says:

Thank you – so do I! I have been practicing too. I think I shall also have to ban ballads from karaoke cos the are invariably awful!

3. Claire says:

Oh my god, Stace, we have to sing at your wedding??? Haha. Will have to see how drunk I get!

• Stacey says:

No no no! I’m not forcing anyone I promise – but I do remember you were quite willing – nay even enthused – about singing Total Eclipse of the Heart after a few drinks! May have t supply earplugs wit the flip-flops though!!

4. Yes, I think I may need some drinks & maybe a group number, my only karaoke experience was in a Cornish holiday park….(“stop right now, thank you very much…”), what appropriate lyrics!

5. Jay says:

Loving the new attitude! Make sure it sticks. It is *your* day, noone else’s and it can and should be anything you want it to be, and if others dislike or disapprove, frankly, tough titties! That’s what *their* wedding day is for! The last thing you want is to look back and say “I wish we had…”. Just go for it 🙂

6. Juliet Boyd says:

Hmmm. I don’t like karaoke, but it’s your wedding and you should absolutely have the wedding you want.

Ooh and you know Kirsty. Hi Kirsty!

• Stacey says:

Thanks, it’s part of my new attitude! I know Kirsty very well – she’s my oldest friend (of nearly 30 years!!).

7. Hi Juliet.

Oldest friend of nearly 30 years – I shall now pretend we were friends from birth and that I have not quite made it as far as 30 yet!