Metal Mummy’s Movie Meme – Book Adaptation

Another week, another movie! If only I had time to watch one movie a week :0/ This time the theme from Metal Mummy is Book Adaptations and already I’m doing a small cheat! My choice is not a book, but a short story and it is:

The Shawshank Redemption

This movie is one of the all-time greats, but despite being nominated for seven Oscars, it din’t win any of them. Obviously the academy don;t know a damn thing, as it went on to be the most rented movie ever.

It’s based on a short story by Stephen King from the Different Seasons book and tells the story of Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins), a man who is imprisoned for the murder of his wife, which he denies. It chronicles his life in Shawshank Prison through the eyes of his unlikely friend, and convicted killer, Red (Morgan Freeman). It covers, I think, some 25 years in the lives of these men and some of the other prisoners and guards who pass through in that time, including the bullying head guard (Clancy Brown) and the corrupt yet morally righteous prison Warden (Bob Gunton) and yet the pace never slows too much and it is always nothing but gripping.

I can’t say any more as it will give away the SPECTACULAR ending, but it is clever and fantastic and for those that do know, I shall simply say ‘Zihuatanejo’.

This is one of the films you MUST see before you die as not only is it a brilliant adaptation of the original story, but it is also a classic example from Frank Darabont of how to make a movie. The cast is spot on, although in the original story Red was a white Irishman – Morgan Freeman nevertheless owns the role and that voice is perfect for a narrator – I could listen to it all day!

This entry was posted in All About Me!, Movies and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Metal Mummy’s Movie Meme – Book Adaptation

1. Jay says:

*Cough* I, erm…haven’t seen it *runs*

*Peeps round doorframe* Should I watch or read it first?

• Stacey says:

I watched it before I even knew it was a story first, but neither takes away from the other – unusually, I enjoyed both equally.

2. Hannah says:

Frank Darabont is a genius.

You chose a King short story, just like I chose a King novel.

There’s a lot to be said about his stuff.

This is one of my favourite films. I love it. So so much. x

3. Awesome story, awesome film. King is a legend and Tim Robbins totally rocks it. Obv Morgan Freeman is great as well (when is he not??). Great choice 🙂

4. Mrs M says:

Another one who hasn’t seen this and I generally get people GASPING at me when I make that comment. I think I may own the DVD though…

5. fee says:

Another brilliant choice – a great film not read the book though…

6. Cath says:

I read the story first, and fell in love with it completely. When I saw it was coming out as a movie (yes, I read it that long ago!) I nearly died with excitement. I think I saw it twice at the cinema, and countless times on DVD. I have even made my mum watch it, and she really enjoyed it (despite the prevalence of the ‘f’ word in it). It is one if those rare films that actually outshine the already incredible written word version. I cannot speak highly enough of it. If you’ve not already seen it, watch it. Watch it now. It’s my all time number one film.