You might remember from last week’s meal plan, I was fishing out and trying some recipes that I’ve saved from various supermarket magazines. The ones I picked were actually quite successful – the Turkey and Gammon Pie went down very well, as did this recipe for Chicken and Mushroom Bake,
Chicken and Mushroom Bake
1 Chicken Stock Cube
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
4 Chicken Breast Fillets cut into bite-sized pieces
250g Mushrooms either halved or quartered
2 Shallots, chopped
2 Tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp Cornflour
3 Tbsp Creme Fraiche
1 Small White Baguette
50g Butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 200c/180c Fan/Gas Mark 6
2. Dissolve the stock cube and puree in 75ml hot water.
3. Pour into a large pan with 150ml Cold Water and the chicken, mushrooms, shallots and parsley.
4. Cover ans simmer gently for 15 minutes
5. Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water and stir into the pan with the creme fraiche.
6. Heat until simmering and slightly thickened.
7. Pour into a shallow ovenproof dish.
8. Cut the baguette into diagonal strips and spread with butter.
9. Arrange the bread on top of the dish., butter side up.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until the baguette slices are golden.
And there you have it. The page in the magazine suggested using garlic bread on the top of the bake, so I spread a little garlic paste on with the butter and, as I had some grated mozzarella to use up, I sprinkled that one, so we have cheesy garlic bread on the top of ours.
Again, this dish was a success with me and Mr W ate it with only a few complaints but, sadly, it seemed not to be a winner with the kids so while I would do this again it would have to be for grown up tea only. Ah well, back to the drawing board – again!