Back in January, I successfully took part in a ‘No Spend Challenge‘, aiming to spend only on essentials for the whole month. It was in an attempt to trim down and see where we were wasting money and could perhaps save a bit and after a successful (but somewhat hard work) month we did actually manage to put some money away. Sadly, recently we’ve slipped back into bad ways, a combination of Mr W being off sick for a long period of time and a bit of excessive spending to cheer ourselves up – I know, I know, it’s the worst thing to do! So I’ve decided that I am going to devote June to a second No Spend Challenge.
Now, I can already spot a couple of things that I know will occur in June that will be technically unnecessary spending but I’ve already committed to them, so no getting out of it, but what I really want to stop is the unnecessary supermarket trips and such like. Looking at our bank statement, it’s all Adsa, Tesco, Asda, Asda which is the result of a couple of weeks with no food plan or shopping list.
So, I aim to:
1. Make a note of all purchases day to day
2. Think about whether I actually need the small items – I usually don’t!
3. Plan all meals and make a proper shopping list
4. Start using my Mysupermarket/Lidl/Asda plan to make sure we’re spending the least amount possible
5. Downshift the items we buy and try value items where possible
6. Assess whether we really need any big items – I suspect we don’t!!
So there we are. Is it just me who has had this mid-year return to bad ways, or is it inevitable? Anyone want to join me on another frugal month?